Monday, March 17, 2008

Local DJ Personality Doesn’t Let His Disability Deter Him From Doing What He Loves

Geoff “Deaf Geoff” Herbert is a local DJ personality at HOT 107.9 in Syracuse, New York. At the age of two he was diagnosed as being “mostly deaf,” which means he has lost 90 percent of his hearing. Deaf Geoff said he loves the challenge of being able to do something people wouldn’t expect him to be able to do.
“People are really surprised and shocked when they meet me and realize that I’m really deaf.”
While growing-up Deaf Geoff said one of the most difficult decisions that he has ever had to make was whether to attend school for kids with hearing disabilities or do something called mainstreaming, where he would attend school with kids that don’t have disabilities. He decided to mainstream.
“I think a lot of people have the wrong impression of people with disabilities. I’m myself am hard of hearing and I work in radio. It just goes to show you that even though I have a disability it hasn’t stopped me from doing my job properly.”

Courtesy of HOT 107.9 web site

In high school, Deaf Geoff decided he wanted to be a radio DJ, when he joined the school’s radio station. He went on to graduate from the prestigious S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications in 2002.
Like our new New York State Governor Patterson, Deaf Geoff knows what it’s like to live with a disability and overcome everyday obstacles to do his job.
“We shouldn’t discredit Patterson because he is legally blind. I think he is 100 percent qualified and capable of doing the job and I don’t think his disability hinders what he can do”

Courtesy of HOT 107.9 web site
Deaf Geoff sees himself as a role model for others. In his spare time he talks to students at local middle and high schools in the community. He shares with them what it’s like to live with a disability and how being different is always difficult for anyone. He encourages them to never allow challenges to stop them from trying to achieve their future goals.

Check out Deaf Geoff on
the Marty and Shannon in the Morning Show on HOT 107.9

No comments: