Wednesday, February 13, 2008

SU Coach Looks to Take on Gladiators

Veronica Dyer competed as a track athlete for four years as an undergraduate at SU and she's been involved in body and figure building competitions for several years now and yet she's still looking to do bigger and better things.

This past weekend, the SU Strength and Conditioning Coach drove to New York City to try out for American Gladiators. NBC reintroduced the show this year and ever since the premiere, Dyer's friends have been begging her to try out. "And then it was on TV and I had friends emailing me and contacting me like 'Oh you know you should try out.' But I had never heard of the tryouts so I was like, 'I guess I missed it' and literally two weeks after that I saw the casting call for tryouts," Dyer says.

Dyer's daily workout already consisted of forty-five minutes of strength exercises followed by forty-five minutes of cardio. In order to prepare for the tryouts, she added more short sprints to her workouts because she says she'll probably need to be lighter on her feet.

If Dyer is chosen to be a contender on the second season of the show, she'll have to take a few weeks off for the taping in March, but she's not thinking that far ahead yet. "I don't expect to make the show, but I just expect to be in the tops of whatever tests they throw at us. That's just the competitor in me. I don't want to walk away feeling like nobody even noticed I was there."

No comments: