Monday, March 3, 2008

Syracuse Club Team Looks Forward To Division I Team

Syracuse University will welcome a Division I hockey team beginning in October.  In the mean time, the women's club team calls the rink at the Tennity Pavilion home.  Before their final game of the season, many of the athletes made it clear just how much they are looking forward to welcoming the team to Syracuse.  Current club team member Alison Lee looks forward to the increase in competition that the club team will bring.

"I feel that it will bring higher quality players to the club" said Lee before the teams last game. 

And other members, like Sophie Pitt, cannot wait for the opportunity to play Division I hockey.

"D-I [...] we'll give them a run for their money" said Pitt.

Syracuse University hosted the Northeast Women's Collegiate Hockey Association Spring Tournament which included teams from Rochester, Potsdam, Brockport, and Niagara.  The league also includes teams Cornell and Colgate, which will provide familiar names for the Division I team.  
The University made room for the Division I team by cutting the swimming and diving programs.  University Athletic Director Daryl Gross plans to name a coach after the Frozen Four at the end of the month.  

For more information on Syracuse University's Club team you can visit their website @ www.suhockey.com/women
For more information on the Division I team you can visit the team website @ carrierdome.syr.edu/index.asp?path=wice 

No comments: